06/05/2009

The Selmer SE001 (14)






In the meanwhile I made a Rio rosewood bridge. Some of the frets had to be refretted, I made a new and better nut from bone, placed position dots on the top side of the fretboard (visible only to the player) and finished some touches here and there... Then I applied French polishing to the guitar. Now it was completely finished!
I experimented somewhat with different strings; the standard Savarez Argentine .010 I found a little light. D'Addario has a special set for gypsy guitars but it's a bit dull and without expression, I think. Currently the guitar is stringed with Galli Django strings, a bit thicker than the Savarez but very clear and projective just as well!
Here are som pictures of the finished guitar as it is now. In the future I would like to make the neck a bit thinner, more slender. But for now, she's happy as she is. Recently, the guitar has been played by Andreas Öberg, Ari-Jukko Loumaranta, Yorgui & Gigi Loeffler, Mozes Rosenberg, Jokke Schreurs and Popy Basily. They all agreed somewhat: it's a characteristic gypsy all right, but the neck is a bit thick and because of that she works a bit stiff for the left hand. But those things can be arranged, things can only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment